Our programs support women* nonfiction filmmakers at various stages in their careers.
We support filmmakers from diverse backgrounds who are both committed to social change and to the art and craft of filmmaking. When we choose a project, it is because we believe the film needs to be made–and that the particular filmmaker is the one to make it. Our grantees have unique access to their subjects, a collaborative spirit, and the courage to take creative risks. When choosing a project, we look for:
- Storytelling: Original story, tone, style, and structure
- Diversity: In all its forms
- Innovation: Filmmakers with unique voices and projects that take risks
- Vision: A new perspective on an issue, special access into the story, and the ability to make the universal accessible and personal
- Craft: Inextricable links between story and production value
- Resonance: Timely, urgent, or compelling issues at stake
Completing and launching a documentary takes grit, nerve, and creativity; it also takes money, connections, and time. We offer women and gender nonconforming directors the tools to realize the full potential of their projects, both as works of art and as catalysts for change. Each of our programs represents a pivotal intervention in a woman’s filmmaking career; through them, we empower women storytellers to direct their own careers in the field.
*Chicken & Egg Pictures supports self-identifying women (cis or trans) and gender nonconforming individuals.
Please sign up for our newsletter to receive updates on programs.