The application deadline for the 2019 Nest Knight Fellowship is Friday, February 22, 2019, at 3:00 PM ET. Learn how to apply below.
With support from Knight Foundation, Chicken & Egg Pictures is proud to present the Nest Knight Fellowship*, a pilot initiative focused on identifying and supporting three women or gender nonconforming nonfiction directors from the Knight cities working on their first or second feature-length documentary.
In its pilot year, the Nest Knight Fellowship is seeking directors based in Philadelphia, PA.
In this fellowship, three filmmakers will:
- Receive a $15,000 grant for the production of their feature-length film;
- Benefit from 10 hours of mentorship calls with Chicken & Egg Pictures’ senior creative team. The mentorship will focus on professional development and on strengthening the story and structure of the film, as well as working towards a strong fundraising sample and proposal to pursue and secure additional funds;
- Attend Chicken & Egg Pictures’ NEXT GEN EGG event in New York City where they will meet media funders and other industry professionals, and observe experienced filmmakers pitch to potential supporters including distributors, funding organizations, and individuals funders.
*The Nest Knight Fellowship for first- and second-time filmmakers based in Philadelphia, PA is generously supported by the Knight Foundation.
Guidelines & Criteria
Guidelines for the 2019 Nest Knight Fellowship for first- and second-time filmmakers based in Philadelphia, PA:
- Project Type, Length, and Production Status: This current open call is geared only toward nonfiction feature-length films. Projects must currently be in early production (at least 5% of their footage shot) or up to mid-production (no more than 40% of their footage shot) by the date of application. (See FAQ for details on length requirements.) Note: The fellowship will start in April 2019 and should be completed by December 2019. Mentorship calls will be scheduled between Fellows and mentors.
- Subject Matter: We’re passionate about films that address the global justice, human rights, and environmental issues of our time. While we prioritize films that focus on social issues, having a social issue in the film is not required. Personal stories are eligible.
- Approach: We welcome a variety of filmmaking approaches and artistic visions that intend to explore the cinematic language and go beyond mainstream forms of filmmaking.
- Fiscal Sponsor: Please note that if you are accepted into the fellowship, you must arrange to be represented by a US 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor. This applies to both US-based and international filmmakers. You do not need to have a fiscal sponsor secured at the time of the application.
Eligibility criteria for the 2019 Nest Knight Fellowship for first-and second-time filmmakers based in Philadelphia, PA:
- You must be a first- or second-time filmmaker
- You are applying with a feature-length nonfiction film
- You are currently residing in Philadelphia, PA. (You must provide proof of residency in Philadelphia by uploading a copy of your government/state ID, and a copy of a utility bill or similar document.)
- You are able to attend Chicken & Egg Pictures’ NEXT GEN EGG event on April 1-2, 2019 in New York City (Chicken & Egg Pictures will cover the costs of accommodation and transportation for each director.)
- Complete our online application here
- Applications by filmmakers not currently residing in Philadelphia, PA
- Projects not directed or co-directed by a woman or gender nonconforming individual
- Student projects
- Films that are being produced under a graduate or undergraduate program
- Fiction films
- Short films
- Transmedia projects
- Engagement/outreach campaigns
Application Checklist & FAQ
Please check our Application Checklist and FAQ here before contacting us with questions about the application process.
- Start an application for the 2019 Nest Knight Fellowship. NOTE: You will be emailed a log-in and password once you’ve completed this form.
- Continue your application for the 2019 Nest Knight Fellowship. NOTE: You can only access this portal once you’ve received a log-in and password.
The application deadline for the 2019 Nest Knight Fellowship is Friday, February 22, 2019, at 3:00 PM ET.